Everything you need to know about using a credit card for a work and travel trip in distant Australia. Summary advantages and disadvantages at a glance. Essential tips to find the optimal credit card for your stay in Australia. See natureswindow.net for further editorial
Anyone planning a work and travel in Australia has a lot to prepare in advance. The most important thing is often forgotten. Namely the right means of payment. Only shortly before the start of the game is the question thrown into the room how to actually pay during your stay abroad.
Relying on cash alone is only conditionally recommended. Of course there would be the possibility to change money accordingly, but the risk of being stolen abroad as a tourist is correspondingly high. Backpackers should therefore always have access to a credit card, which of course should be kept securely, ideally in the inside pocket.
Acceptance: MasterCard and Visa are the best choice
Credit cards are very widely accepted within Australia. they can therefore be used as a reasonable means of payment. Visa or MasterCards are ideal. Both providers are the most widely accepted worldwide , including Australia. You can choose between a standard and a gold card for both Visa and MasterCard. Gold cards have higher annual fees, but offer some useful insurance benefits, depending on the provider.
When is it worth using credit cards in Australia?
In principle, the use of a credit card in Australia (especially for a work and travel trip) is always recommended, if possible. However, attention should be paid to the cost structure of the issuing bank. Depending on the fees involved, it is important to consider whether paying with cash might be cheaper.
Since the fees charged vary widely from bank to bank , no general estimate can be made. Ideally, special attention should be paid to the fees when selecting the credit card. Among the many providers, there are also some banks that do not require additional costs for payment abroad. These are of course to be preferred and can always be used wherever possible.
Visa and MasterCards can also be used to withdraw cash from numerous ATMs in Australia. Cash withdrawals are recommended, for example, if the surrounding shops do not accept cashless payments or if you really only want to buy a little something. Even if the card payment fees are too high.
Three important tips for choosing the right credit card
- Please pay attention to the conditions of the issuing bank. Some banks offer credit cards at particularly favorable conditions and only charge the annual fee. There are no fees for payments or cash withdrawals.
- In addition, there are some banks that directly equip the credit card with a current account function. Accordingly, credit interest is also paid. In addition, there is the possibility to pay bills or receive incoming payments at any time.
- When choosing a standard or a gold card, it is only advisable to select the gold card if it is provided with individual insurance benefits. For example, travel health insurance abroad. However, you should expect that these offers have correspondingly higher annual fees.
Advantages of paying by credit card in Australia:
- high acceptance in Australia for cashless payments in shops
- Possibility of withdrawing cash from numerous accepting ATMs
- more security and flexibility
- No exchange of money necessary upon entry
- Receipts of money possible at any time, provided a connected account exists
- free use with optimal selection of the issuing bank
- depending on the selected bank credit interest possible
- additional use of insurance benefits possible when using a gold card
Disadvantages of credit card payment in Australia:
- Possibly high fees for cash withdrawals if the bank is not selected properly
- additionally high fees for cashless payments, provided the bank has poor conditions
As can be easily seen, using a good credit card during a work and travel trip offers many advantages. The disadvantages mentioned can be completely compensated for by optimally selecting an issuing bank.